Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Why me, God?

Most of us believe, at least on some level, that we need to understand everything. We just need to know why. When we don't, we may feel God has betrayed us in some way. In reality, it's not God who is confusing us or betraying us, it is our belief system. All those inconsistent, partially correct beliefs cause us to question God's fairness in what we are experiencing. For example, somewhere in our belief system, we may have come to believe that we deserve to be blessed because we have been diligent to honor God, been a good person, fed the hungry, or helped our neighbor. We often believe that the things we do should keep us from harm's way. Then when something bad happens, we are confused and ask God why.
Why Me, God? - Changing our Thinking
When something happens that deeply touches us, we often ask, "Why me, God?" We are quick to judge the event as good or bad. What if we were to eliminate the possibility that anything that happens to us is inherently bad and choose to believe that everything that happens to us is always good? Impossible, you say? It has to be one or the other, doesn't it?

Belief systems are changeable. When we discover that something we have believed, even for a long time, is no longer valid, can we not simply change our mind and fully embrace the new? If you are crying out "Why me, God?" you must believe there is a God out there who hears you and you have hoped He would answer you. Maybe there was a time when you didn't believe there was a God at all. If you changed your mind and opened your life to God, then you can also change your mind about judging events as being bad for you.

When we choose to believe that ALL the events in our life are good for us, even the ones that seem frustrating and painful for now.

Our new dialogue should be, "God, this is going to be an interesting journey. I'm excited to see how you are going to bring good out of this one. I trust you will!" 

1 comment:

  1. OMG - I wrote the whole comment and now its gone - GOD WHY ME ?
    (That was on the lighter note)
    Yes many a times when things don't happen the way you want them to - you end up thinking God why Me? and that is the way I would think earlier - but since a few years when something happens which I would prefer otherwise - after the initial surge of self-pity subsides I think "Why not me - Yaar".When I get my share of good fortunes - I am bound to get my share of troubles too. And God does think I am capable of solving them that is why they are here. And ok If i really can't handle them - He is there to guide me. So chill. go out and work them out.
    I have figured it out that when you have your share of so called problems - Just think out of the box - try going the other way - take a different path and you will be able to crack the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.